Thursday, March 15, 2018

A dinner with Pedigree

I found a Mâcon-Lugny (Maison Louis Latour) in a wine store here in Chile. That was a beautiful label, with all that controlled designation of origin stuff. That was so cool that I stayed just looking at the bottle for a while, thinking about its "life" story. And then a desperation came to me: how would I pair that wine? Should I just drink it without food? How could I find a perfect food to this beautiful wine full of story?! 

I remembered that usually Chardonnay has good pairing with blue cheese. So I went to the supermarket to look for the perfect blue cheese. There were lots of cheeses from all around the world, but I put my eyes on a french cheese and thought: "French wine + French cheese = that's the perfection I was looking for".

The initial idea was to make a pasta with blue cheese sauce. And it would work. Turns out that the perfect cheese was too perfect! At home when I was reading carefully the cheese label I realized that I bought a Roquefort with "appellation d'origine protégée". Then I started thinking about the "life" story of that incredible cheese too... And i just couldn't use that cheese to make a sauce. It was too noble for this!

I know it sounds stupid, but I grew up in a place without all these cool stuff with story. When this locations was already producing wines, cheese etc. in my country people was still walking naked, hunting for food and with pretty small crops!

The simple solution was just to enjoy things the way they were. I had some fruits (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and red currant), also some nuts (almonds, peanuts and pistachios). That was it: our dinner with pedigree.

Perfect indeed! (Chardonnay and blue cheese really are a great match! No need for super elaborate fancy plates)


No comments:

Post a Comment